Re: [ExternalEmail] Re: [ferret_users] Temperature calculation from potential temperature.

Hi Shivashankar,

But in my data set I didn't had pressure data, and if calculate pressure by
p = p0 + rho*g*h ; if I calculate rho by ferret function rho_un(sal,temp,ref_pressure) again temperature is potential temperature
in this situation how should I proceed.

You ask a relevant question.  To compute p, we need rho.  To compute rho, we need p. How should we proceed?

1) Just use the approximation p = p0 + rho0 * g * z, where rho0 is a constant, mean density of sea water.

2) Iterate: The above procedure gives an initial approximation of p as a function of z.  Then compute rho(z) using THAT p(z).  Repeat until  it converges.

3) Solve the ordinary differential equation dp/dz = g * rho_un(S(z), T(z),  p)  downwards starting from p = p0.

I have compared methods (1) and (2) and found differences of a few tens of Pascals at a depth of 3500m, IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, which I'm not sure at all about!  I friend of mine uses method (3) and seems to be successful.

This is a nonlinear problem and I guess multiple solutions may exist, but I guess usually method (1) is good enough for most purposes.

Regards,

Ryo