Subject: Slippy maps from pyferret
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 19:50:20 +0200
From: Patrick Brockmann <Patrick.Brockmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ferret_users@xxxxxxxx

Hi all ferreters and pyferreters,

I have found interesting to explore how to generate slippy maps directly from pyferret.
Well, it seems to be possible and I have started to code a prototype following this idea.
It is available from: https://github.com/PBrockmann/wms-pyferret

So, tiles are generated on the fly from "workers" of a gunicorn server (a python WSGI server)
that use pyferret for the rendering of the tiles. The server is launched the time the analysis is needed.
With 4 workers, the rendering is quite smooth.
A small application (html+js) run with nw (Node-Webkit) displays the
slippy map using Leaflet.js map.

Thus, any variable read or computed from pyferret  could be rendered as a slippy map using
the classic ferret syntax we are used to.
I think it opens new perspectives (multiple synchronous maps for example).

By the way, I have succeed to get rid off the margins when generating the tiles
by a simple use of a "pyferret.run('go margins 0 0 0 0')"

Regards
Patrick

--
LSCE/IPSL, Laboratoire CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
Data Analysis and Visualization Engineer