[ferret_users] Re: [ferret_users] plot a variable according to altitude

Le Mercredi 7 Septembre 2016 10.31 CEST, Francois Delclaux <francois.delclaux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

> Hi Ferret users,
>
> I have a DEM Z(x,y) and a map precipitation P(x,y)
>
> Now I would like to plot (or save in a ascii file), for each cell which
> has the same elevation, the average of all the  precipitation values
> which are at this elevation.
> In other word, for a given Z0 elevation, I would like to have the
> average of Precipitation values which are at Z0 elevation.
>
> What the best way for doing that ?

Hi François,

Are you aware of conditionnal variables in ferret ?

You can easilly define a mask on a variable by selecting a specific value (or range)
Then multiply this mask with the quantity to analyze and
then list the average.

An example using levitus_climatology

yes? use levitus_climatology
yes? let mask = if salt gt 35 and salt le 37 then 1
yes? let temp_at_mask = temp * mask
yes? list temp_at_mask[i=@ave,j=@ave,k=1]
you get 22.86

Hope that will help
Regards

Patrick

--
LSCE/IPSL, Laboratoire CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
Data Analysis and Visualization Engineer