Re: [ferret_users] missing value for binary data and single to double conversion

Hi Russ,

You can now (at least of v4.2.1.1) specify the precision of output in ncdump with the "-p float_digits[,double_digits]" option.

ncdump -h -p 9,17 file.nc

should get you full precision.

Thanks!  That suggests that ncdump should default to -p 9,17.  Remember gfortran displays 17 digits?  That decision by the implementers of gfortran was made (I guess) not to lose a single bit when writing to ascii and reading it again.  ncdump and ncgen are conceptual counterparts of ascii WRITE and READ of Fortran.  (I already wrote such a message as this to unidata.)

Regards,

Ryo