[ferret_users] finding threshold temperature over large number of subregions

Hi Ferret users,

I have 1 year daily data over a region with 1200 by 1200 x and y points. There are 2 variables: (1) average (avg) and (2) standard deviation (stdev) of temperature. I need to divide this entire region into subsets each having 12 by 12 x and y points. For each of these subsets for each day I need to find two thresholds based on:

(1) value of stdev below which 90% of the points are lying
(2) I need to find the number of points for avg temperature lying within each 1 degree bins. Based on this I need to determine the bin at which the number of points decreases to less than 50 % of the previous bin.

I have started off by using reshape to place the x-y-t data into x-t axis and then using sorti and samplei. I am wondering how to approach this efficiently considering all the subsets that I have.

Regards,

Priyanka

Priyanka Banerjee
Centre for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore, India