Re: [ferret_users] walker circulation

In literature omega is multiplied by -5*abs(average of U/average of omega), so which is most correct way?

regards.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 3:31 AM, saurabh rathore <rohitsrb2020@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks Ryo, for your suggestion i never thought it in this way, for me the vertical wind vectors are seems to be very small so for qualitative purpose i magnified it by a factor of 100.

but i really appreciated your suggestion to work it on for my analysis also.

regards, Saurabh

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Ryo Furue <furue@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Saurabh and  Ektaraful and Ferret users,

> vector . . .  uu1[y=-10:10@ave], -100*ww1[y=-10:10@ave]

I've been bothered by this kind of factor.  In this case, it's "100".

You think vertical velocity is too small and so you want to magnify
it.  But what factor is optimal?

I think that's the wrong question.  In the x-z plane, the arrow has to
be parallel to the local streamline (the local trajectory of the fluid
parcel).  Assuming that you use consistent units between the velocity
components and the axes, Ferret gives you the "correct" plot with

   vector/ASPECT  u,w

If the horizontal axis is kilometers or degrees and u is in m/s, for
example, you have to scale u appropriately (not tested).

The same principle should apply to pressure coordinates.  If the
"vertical" velocity is in the units of pressure/time, ASPECT will give
you "correct" vectors in that the fluid parcel moves parallel to the
arrows in the x-p space.  Likewise, if the vertical axis is log(p),
then "velocity" log(p)/time should be the appropriate "vertical"
velocity.  But I haven't tested these latter ideas.

Regards,

Ryo

--

REGARDS

Saurabh Rathore
Research Scholar (PhD.)
Centre For Oceans, Rivers, Atmosphere & Land Science Technology
Indian Institute Of Technology, Kharagpur
contact :- 91- 8345984434