Re: [ferret_users] Partially resolved, pyferret on osx 10.11.5

Hi Denise,

Where are you getting the ferret and pyferret source for the builds?  I ask as there are now a couple of options.  There are, of course, the source tar files from ferret.pmel.noaa.gov (so v6.96; v7.0 to be released in the next day or two), but now there are also GitHub repositories which are regularly updated with the latest:
https://github.com/NOAA-PMEL/Ferret.git
https://github.com/NOAA-PMEL/PyFerret.git
Thanks to Filipe in Brazil, there is an Anaconda build of PyFerret (for Linux and Mac under python 2.7) that we are testing.
(If you wish help test, please let me know.)

Although Ferret and PyFerret can co-exist under the same directory, it is simpler to keep them in separate directories.  The duplicated scripts and environment files do not amount to much disk space.  Keeping them in separate directories allows you to just source the default generated ferret_paths scripts for whichever program you want to use and then run that program.  Since the pyferret program is actually a shell script, some users add the "source"-ing (actually the "." command for sh) of the ferret_paths.sh script to the pyferret script.  A "ferret" script could be created which "source" the ferret_paths.sh for ferret and then runs the ferret_v... executable.

Not sure what might be turning off the echo-ing of command-line input.  Might try "stty echo" to see if that restores the echo-ing (or "stty sane" to return to a sane configuration).  But this is the first I have heard of this happening.  Please do follow up with me off-list on this.

Best regards,
Karl