Re: [ferret_users] defining time axis

There is not a particular way to capture the details of a few months' average per year in the data model for time axes. The axis will just be one grid point per year. But there are a number of ways to define a yearly axis.

If you want  a listing of the time coordinates to be

 2001, 2002, 2003
then the axis that you have defined is fine, and a listing will just depend on the formatting of the listing that you are using.

If you want to compare with other data which may be, say, monthly data in those years, then Ferret can do that comparison, and you might use this definition:

yes? define axis/t=0:11:1/t0=15-apr-2001/units=years tyear

Where I have put the coordinate location for each at the middle of April. Showing the axis points,
yes? list t[gt=tyear]
             VARIABLE : T
                        axis TYEAR
             SUBSET   : 12 points (TIME)
 APR-2001 /  1:   0.00
 APR-2002 /  2:   1.00
 APR-2003 /  3:   2.00
 APR-2004 /  4:   3.00
 APR-2005 /  5:   4.00
 APR-2006 /  6:   5.00
 APR-2007 /  7:   6.00
 APR-2008 /  8:   7.00
 APR-2009 /  9:   8.00
 APR-2010 / 10:   9.00
 APR-2011 / 11:  10.00
 APR-2012 / 12:  11.00
You could work with data on that axis, and Ferret will automatically convert between it and other calendar axes, defined  in other time units such as days or months, and with different time origins.

Ansley