Re: [ferret_users] Ferret's definition of the earth radius

Hi Olivier,
Thank you for writing.  This is always a great way to find something out: get Ferret to solve a small, known problem that you set up.

It turns out to our dismay, that the definition 6371 is also used, for the purpose of computing the conversion from one measure of units to another. This discrepancy has been in the Ferret code forever. For consistency, we will change this to 6371 throughout. This value is very near the authalic radius of earth, which is 6,371.0072 km: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_radius#Authalic_radius

On a side topic: Given the limits of the spherical representation of the earth, the precision of the results here are not valid to a large number of decimal places. In any computation like this, it's worth thinking about what resolution can really be expected of a calculation.

Ansley