Re: [ferret_users] Compressed ferret output incompatibe with netcdf java apps

Hi Ansley,

I can confirm that turning on the shuffle option in ferret allows the variables to be read both in Panopoly and our in house software. Also passing unshuffled compressed files written by ferret through nccopy and explicity specifying the shuffle option works. However not specifying -s fails which is odd. Also taking an uncompressed file and passing it through nccopy works whether shuffling is specified or not. The command line version of nccopy definitely does not turn on shuffling by default. That just seems to be the case for the java version.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf_utilities_guide.html

Summarizing

save/file=uncmp.nc/ncformat=netcdf4 var !works
save/file=cmp.nc/def/ncformat=netcdf4 var !fails  no shuffling
save/file=cmp_shuff.nc/def/ncformat=netcdf4/shuff var    !works

Passing though nccopy

nccopy -k4 -d1 cmp.nc cmp_nccopy_noshuff.nc ! still fails. No shuffling nccopy -k4 -d1 -s cmp.nc cmp_nccopy_shuff.nc ! Now works with shuffling nccopy -k4 -d1 uncmp.nc uncmp_nccopy_noshuff.nc ! Now compressed, works but there's no shuffling! nccopy -k4 -d1 -s uncmp.nc uncmp_nccopy_shuff.nc ! Now compressed, works and is shuffled

It definitely looks like something is being put in the file by Ferret that is causing grief. I looked at the Ferret source code and it all looks fine and mimicked the calls in a simple program which worked fine. My guess is that it may be something to do with the static compilation and other compilation options that may be causing the problem but I didn't get that far in my tests.

We'll turn on the shuffle option now.

Cheers,
Russ