Re: [ferret_users] [Help] How can I calculate linear trend map?

Hi,
The "regresst" script uses two variables that have the same time axis to compute a linear regression, with P as the independent variable and q the dependent variable.
yes? go/help regresst
 Full path name: /home/users/tmap/ferret/x86_64-linux/go/regresst.jnl
\CANCEL MODE VERIFY
! updated 10/93 for Ferret V3.01
! 10/09 More-robust computations of variance using the Ferret @VAR transform

say ... Linear Regression Along the T Axis
say ... Instructions:
say Use the LET command to define new variables
say Define the variable P as your independent (X) variable
say Define the variable Q as your   dependent (Y) variable
say Results will be variables "SLOPE", "INTERCEP" and "RSQUARE"
say QHAT will be the regression estimate
say Note: If "T" is your independent variable then
say ...   "SET GRID Q" after defining Q.
say ...
You could define a time variable as the independent variable, and your SST variable on its XYT grid as the dependent variable.
yes? let tt = t[gt=sst]
yes? let p = tt
yes? let q = sst

yes? go regresst
Now, the results, "slope", "Intercep", and "rsquare" are 2-D variables with each XY grid cell containing the slope , intercept, and rsquare.  So you can
yes? shade slope
And the qhat regression line is a function of T  available at any location,
yes? plot/x=300/y=-10 qhat
Note as discussed  in another thread today, http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2015/msg00529.html, the units of slope, intercep, etc, depend on the units of the time axis that is used.

-Ansley