RE: [ferret_users] Re: [ferret_users] For the end of the default rainbow palette !

I think that justifies using the rainbow as default.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ferret_users@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-ferret_users@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Martin Schmidt
Sent: Thursday, 3 December 2015 8:33 AM
To: ferret_users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ferret_users] Re: [ferret_users] For the end of the default rainbow palette !

Hi all,
nothing against new palettes in ferret. Any nice tool to add new palettes to ferret is very welcome and enhances the usability of ferret a lot. Patricks palettes really look nice and should be included in the next distribution. Also the idea to move nearer to python is a good choice.

But please leave the default untouched.

Why?

It is a rainbow. It scatters the information over the largest number of colors perceptable by our eyes. This is needed for browsing through big data sets, one of the most important purposes of ferret.  This has nothing to do with producing print-ready figures. Any other default will be a loss. Am I right? :-)

Greetings,
Martin