Re: [ferret_users] extract a string

> I am ploting wave model output and I want to extract the initial date in the
> format dd-mon-yyyy
>
> ? use ... .nc
> ? sh grid u
>     GRID GAY1
>  name       axis              # pts   start                end
>  LON      LONGITUDE       61mr   0E                   160E
>  LAT       LATITUDE           141 r   70S                  70N
>  normal    Z
>  TIME      TIME                20 r   04-OCT-2015 06:00    09-OCT-2015 00:00
>  normal    E
>  normal    F
>
> Now i want to extract the string "04-OCT-2015" and "06:00" and define it to
> a variable so that it can be used in naming the output file as well as in
> the label. How can i do that.

You can use the RETURN mechanism. To see what it does:

   yes? say `u,return=tstart`

There is an extensive description of what information you can get by
the RETURN mechanism in the Ferret manual.

In this way, you get the string "04-OCT-2015 06:00".  Now, I'm not
familiar with how to manipulate strings. . . .

Ryo