Re: [ferret_users] calculating and plotting seasonal anomalies when data is 3D

Hi,
I agree with Billy, but don't be discouraged from asking questions.  Often it's tricky to find the right words to use to search the documentation and archives.  Often in such a case, as my first response to a question, I'll just point you back to some documentation to start with.

Another general suggestion, when looking at an example like the FAQ, is to do work through it doing exactly what it does, but with your data, to learn the ideas. So in this case, work through it doing monthly anomalies just to learn how the commands work, then change your scripts to do what you really want.

Note that the climatology time axes are pre-defined on startup in current versions of Ferret, and these include a seasonal climatology axis.
> ferret
        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        FERRET v6.93
        Linux 2.6.32-504.el6.x86_64 64-bit - 11/05/14
        11-Sep-15 09:50

yes? sh axis/all
 name       axis              # pts   start                end
MONTH_IRREG TIME              12mi   16-JAN 12:00         15-DEC 17:49
MONTH_REG TIME                12mr   16-JAN 06:00         16-DEC 01:20
SEASONAL_REG TIME              4mr   15-FEB 15:43         15-NOV 14:05
Finally, for the question about plotting several time series together, just specify all the lines on your plot command (and look for "legend" in the Users List archive to customize the labels that are made).

yes? plot precip[x=@ave,y=@ave,d=1], precip[x=@ave,y=@ave,d=2], precip[x=@ave,y=@ave,d=3], precip[x=@ave,y=@ave,d=4]