Re: [ferret_users] Problem to plot grid

Hi,
If what you want is dashed lines, you could try fiddling with adding arguments to the /DASH qualifier, making shorter "down" segments:
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/users-guide/commands-reference/PLOT#_VPINDEXENTRY_1475

Another alternative for showing the grids is to just make symbols, either at the grid cells or the corners,  so
yes? shade h,lon_hyc2,lat_hyc2
yes? plot/nolab/vs/ov/sym=dot lon_hyc2,lat_hyc2
or with a small symbol of some other shape.

That first plot you showed is pretty nice looking. Interestingly I can't seem to replicate what you did for a rectangular grid where I define 2-dimensional longitudes and latitudes for a simple 1-D grid, trying to simulate the 2-D coordinates:
yes? use coads_climatology

yes? let/title="longitude"/units=degrees_east lon = x[gx=sst] + 0*y[gy=sst]
yes? let/title="latitude"/units=degrees_north  lat = 0*x[gx=sst] + y[gy=sst]

yes? shade/l=1/hlim=180:240/vlim=0:40 sst, lon, lat
yes? let  lon2 = (lon+lon[i=@shf:1])/2
yes? let lat2 = (lat+lat[j=@shf:1])/2
yes? plot/dash/vs/ov lon2,lat2
I only see the horizontal dashed lines. Did you show your whole script?