Re: [ferret_users] Using data that spans multiple files without saving to file

Hi Paul,

have a look at http://www.pa.op.dlr.de/~PatrickJoeckel/nc2mc/index.html

Best wishes,
Hella

On 24/08/15 20:31, Paul Goddard wrote:
Hello,

I am looking to have Ferret merge variables in 4 datasets into one
continuous time series without having to save,append new files and
variables to my directory. This is because my files are very large.

For example,
I have 4 datasets:

dataset1 is heat.nc var_name   (time is from years 1-5)
dateset2 is heat.nc var_name   (time is from years 6-10)

The files have the same variable and the time dimension only varies with
where it begins and ends.  I could concatenate these files on my server, or
with Ferret, but both of these methods involve creating a new file; which
is not what I want to do.

Is it possible to create a new variable that "strings" together these two
datasets into one continuous variable from years 1-10?

Thanks in advance