[ferret_users] reading ascii monthly climatological data

Hi Ferret users,

I would like to compare  monthly climatological data calculated in Ferret with data from external ascii file.

- in Ferret, according to my calculation, I got the following data for climatological precipitation :
yes? list pclim
 16-JAN      /  1:   16.7
 15-FEB      /  2:   59.3
 17-MAR      /  3:   41.8
 16-APR      /  4:   82.5
 16-MAY      /  5:  206.4
 16-JUN      /  6:  252.3
 16-JUL      /  7:  438.7
 16-AUG      /  8:  399.4
 15-SEP      /  9:  271.1
 16-OCT      / 10:   70.7
 15-NOV      / 11:   10.2
 16-DEC      / 12:    1.0

- now I want to read ascii data from the following  file p.dat
# L    p1
1    16.6
2    15.8
3    32.5
4    68.2
5    184.7
6    388.7
7    578.6
8    490.0
9    301.3
10    97.2
11    16.1
12    12.2

Then I used following commands:

yes? file/skip=1/var="mp p1" p.dat
yes? list p1
             VARIABLE : P1
             FILENAME : p.dat
             SUBSET   : 12 points (X)
 1    /  1:   16.6
 2    /  2:   15.8
 3    /  3:   32.5
 4    /  4:   68.2
 5    /  5:  184.7
 6    /  6:  388.7
 7    /  7:  578.6
 8    /  8:  490.0
 9    /  9:  301.3
 10   / 10:   97.2
 11   / 11:   16.1
 12   / 12:   12.2

Then I would like to assign the following dates ( 16-JAN , 15-FEB, and so on) to these new data.

What's the best way for doing that ?

Thanks a lot for your advice.
--
Francois DELCLAUX