Re: [ferret_users] query in ascii to nc conversion

Thanks, I will do it.

--
Regards,
Nitin Patil

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 12:28 AM, Ansley Manke <ansley.b.manke@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
For ascii data every point needs a value.  Where there is missing data, you need to put in some value, which can be 0, or some other value. Make sure it is a value that the data itself will never take on; people often things like 999 or -9999,or -1.e34 (Ferret's default value).  Then in your script before writing the data, you define that value to be the missing-value for the variable:
SET VARIABLE/BAD=999 var
save/file=ncfile.nc var
It's a good idea to use the /UNITS="units string"  and /TITLE=:title string"  qualifiers on the SET VARIABLE command as well, giving your variable the appropriate units and a descriptive title. That way your file will be self-documenting.

Also notice that when you define your coordinate axes, /units=LONGITUDE and /units=LATITUDE do not comply with the CF data standard for longitude and latitude axes.  Use:
/units=degrees_east/title=LONGITUDE
/units=degrees_north/title=LATITUDE
Ansley