Re: [ferret_users] Error signal 11

Hi Sarah,

Signal 11 happens to be "segment violation", but that is (somewhat) useful only to programmers trying to figure out the problem.  It generally indicates a problem in the program (ferret itself), and so a report of what you were doing to cause the problem, like what you gave, is much more useful to us.  But this references some unknown data sets, which probably is needed to reproduce the problem.

That being said, your command to SET MEMORY /SIZE=20000 is requesting a huge amount of memory (20000 * 8M = 160 G).  Your system might be using virtual memory to satisfy that request, although theoretically that should not be a problem.  I do not know the size of your data sets, but you might want to see if you do this with a much smaller amount of requested memory (maybe /SIZE=100) and if the same problem still occurs.

Karl