Re: [ferret_users] Two plots in the top half of a smaller plot area

Hello Ge Peng -

You need to use the syntax:

DEF Vi/AXES/x=/y=/text= viewport_name

This will let you define any viewports you want, including overlapping ones, in terms of the fractional distance from the bottom and left sides of the "paper". A difference from the standard viewports is that you must explicitly leave room around the viewports for labels, colorbars and such, which is handled automatically by the standard setup.

It can be tricky getting the aspect ratio right (SET WIN/ASP=) if you want to control that in the viewports, for example if a viewport is a map. However, this is easier with DEF VI/AXES than with the standard viewports.

BK

On Jun 10, 2014, at 8:09 AM, Ge Peng - NOAA Affiliate wrote:

> I would like to define a smaller plot area and create two figures in the top half of the defined plot area with defined aspect ratio.
>

> I have used the following command
>
> set window/aspect=`xy_ratio`/size=0.45
>

> to set a smaller plot area and used
>
> set view ur and ul
>

> for two figures in the top portion of the defined plot area.
>

> However, they do not seem to work together as I have expected – resulted figures are still in the default plot area so they are too large.
>

> Any way I could accomplish that?
>

> --- Peng
>
> --
> Ge Peng, Ph.D
> Research Scholar
> Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC
> North Carolina State University
> NOAA's National Climatic Data Center
> 151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
> ge.peng@xxxxxxxx
> o: +1 828 257 3009
> f:  +1 828 257 3002
> Following CICS-NC on Facebook

William S. Kessler
NOAA / Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory
7600 Sand Point Way NE
Seattle WA 98115 USA

william.s.kessler@xxxxxxxx
Tel: +1 206-526-6221