Re: [ferret_users] plotting magnitude dependent symbols over 2D plot

This is what POLYMARK does:

shade/options/nokey [your_map_data]
! if your positions are variables "xlon,ylat", and the magnitudes to be colored are "mag" go polymark poly/over/nolab/fill/key/pal=[palette] xlon ylat mag circle 0.3

You have a choice of symbol shape (here "circle") and size (final argument). See the manual under polymark for a list of available shapes.

Complications are that xlon,ylat,mag must all be single-dimension lists in the same shape/size. Perhaps force this by "xsequence(xlon)" or "xsequence(xlon[j=1:40])" etc.

POLYMARK is very flexible for overlaying symbols and shapes on maps.

Billy K