Re: [ferret_users] Cross-hatching in pyferret

Hi Russ,

Thanks a lot the tips.
Appreciate it!

Hussen

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 1:06 AM, Russ Fiedler <russell.fiedler@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Hussen,

One trick (old, before the introduction of patterns in Ferret!) is to make a "transparent" mask using your significance values.

Say we have variables "corr" and "sig_corr" which are on the same grid and we want to highlight values above "sigval"

First method:

Drop out values above the significance in a checkerboard fashion values below will be filled solidly.

let masked_corr = if sig_corr lt  `sigval` or mod(i+j,2) eq 1 then corr
shade masked_corr

Second method:
Overlay with a checkerboard mask in monochrome. This works better if you need to use FILL for you underlying plot.

! Only consider locations above the significance level in checkerboard style.
let mask = if sig_corr gt  `sigval` and mod(i+j,2) eq 1 then 1

shade corr
shade/ov/nolab/pal=black mask

You can play around with the mod function to get a satisfactory effect. Maybe even regrid to a finer grid to alter the density.

Cheers,
Russ