Re: [ferret_users] seeing some strange output in curvilinear grids

Hi,

No, Ghansham's command is ok. You can do a 3 variable shade/fill with the last 2 arguments being 2D x/y coordinates.

Actually this looks like a bug(?) with how the end points are being handled when the x/y coordinates contain missing values.

If you make a plot like

shade/j=400:800/i=400:800/lev=50 img_wv,longitude_wv,latitude_wv

It looks great.

Now home in near an edge where missing values for lon/lat start

 shade/j=1180:1184/i=1175:1181

is ok but getting distorted

Now extend the range of "i' by 1

 shade/j=1180:1184/i=1175:1182   ! Whoa

Listing shows we get missing values entering at j=1184,i=1182

yes? list/j=1180:1184/i=1181:1182
             DATA SET: ./test.h5
             X: 1179.5 to 1181.5
             Y: 1178.5 to 1183.5
             TIME: 18-FEB-2014 04:00
 Column  1: IMG_WV is Water Vapor Count
 Column  2: LONGITUDE_WV is longitude (degrees_east)
 Column  3: LATITUDE_WV is latitude (degrees_north)
              IMG_WV  LONGITU LATITUDE_WV
 ---- J:1180 Y:   1179
1180   / 1181:  930.0   152.6  -43.80
1181   / 1182:  931.0   153.5  -43.90
 ---- J:1181 Y:   1180
1180   / 1181:  933.0   153.5  -44.01
1181   / 1182:  950.0   154.6  -44.13
 ---- J:1182 Y:   1181
1180   / 1181:  948.0   154.6  -44.25
1181   / 1182:  993.0   156.1  -44.41
 ---- J:1183 Y:   1182
1180   / 1181:  976.0   156.0  -44.53
1181   / 1182:  995.0   159.2  -44.87
 ---- J:1184 Y:   1183
1180   / 1181:  995.0   159.5  -45.02
1181   / 1182:   ....    ....    ....

It looks like the polygons that are being created are somehow being extrapolated to the borders of the plot.  We can change the behaviour by specifying hlim and/or vlim

shade/j=1180:1184/i=1175:1182/vlim=-45.5:-43.0

I was able to get something that looks kind of ok if you fill the missing lons/lats but looks a bit odd at the edges but it might be correct for all I know.

let lon=longitude_wv[x=@fnr,y=@fnr]
let lat=latitude_wv[x=@fnr,y=@fnr]

shade img_wv,lon,lat  ! Success

Cheers,