Re: [ferret_users] Spatial Trend

Hello,
I will answer two questions you sent to me outside of the list.  First, some general comments about interpolation in Ferret.

MODE INTERPOLATE controls whether Ferret interpolates results when getting data out of a grid.  So, for instance, say you have a data on an axis which is every 10 degrees, such as

   define axis/x=0:360:10/units=degrees_east

and you ask Ferret to list data at x=28E.  With MODE INTERPOLATE turned on, Ferret would do a linear interpolation between the data values at x=20 and x=30 and return that interpolated result.  If MODE INTERPOLATE is off, it would return the data at the nearest location, x=30.

Interpolating to a grid can mean a couple of different things.  For your data, which is ungridded data with locations lon, lat and data at lon,lat; we use one of the scat2grid functions, as you show here. If the data is gridded, then interpolating to another grid is referred to in the documentation as "regridding".  Finally if you had gridded data, and wanted data at a set of X,Y locations, that would be "sampling".

Now, about scat2gridgauss_xy. The script you sent earlier needs one change.  You had this:
yes? use wm_20110101.nc
yes? DEFINE AXIS/X=15E:120:10/UNIT=DEGREES xlon
yes? DEFINE AXIS/Y=-60S:30N:10/UNIT=DEGREES ylat
yes? DEFINE GRID/X=xlon/Y=ylat gsnoopy2d
The Y axis definition should not have -60S, but either 60S or -60, without the S.
yes? use wm_20110101.nc
yes? DEFINE AXIS/X=15E:120:10/UNIT=DEGREES xlon
yes? DEFINE AXIS/Y=60S:30N:10/UNIT=DEGREES ylat

yes? let swhcorgrid = scat2gridgauss_xy (lat, lon, swhcor, x[gx=xlon], y[gy=ylat], 4,2,4,2)
yes? stat swhcorgrid

             SCAT2GRIDGAUSS_XY (LAT, LON, SWHCOR, X[GX=XLON], Y[GY=YLAT], 4,2,4,2)
             LONGITUDE: 10E to 130E
             LATITUDE: 65S to 35N
             Z:  N/A
             T:  N/A
             E:  N/A
             F:  N/A
             DATA SET: ./wm_20110101.nc

 Total # of data points: 120 (12*10*1*1*1*1)
 # flagged as bad  data: 40
 Minimum value: 0.62119
 Maximum value: 5.3594
 Mean    value: 2.6417 (unweighted average)
 Standard deviation: 1.1658