Re: [ferret_users] How to divide a variable by area used in calculation

Hi Dogar,

If your vaiable has lat-long information, I think this should work:

Create a variable with unitary value from the desired variable and use @din to compute area:
e.g.:
let mask=if heat_anm_ctr1[l=1] then 1
list mask[x=@din.y=@din]            ! give area in square m

Jagadish

On Monday, October 28, 2013 1:02 PM, Star Physicist <couragetoknowgc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Ferret users,

I am calculating Ocean Heat Content (OHC) as follows and wanted to divide it by area used in calculation. How can I do that:

set reg/x=-180:180/y=60S:60N
!Defining rho x temp
let heat=rho[d=1] *temp[d=1]

!Integrating over the entire volume
let OHC=heat_anm_ctr1[x=@din,y=@din,z=@din]*3990

Now I want to divide this OHC by corresponding area to get the unit as Joule/m^2. How to get the area used in above calculation.

Thanks,

Dogar