[ferret_users] question on yearly average

Hi,

I have a basic question but it is made me wonder for quite some time.  Let's say I have 20 years of monthly data, Jan 1993 -Dec 2012, and I want to list out the yearly average of those months.  I usually compute,
list = var[L=1:240:12@AVE]

The output is 20 data points, however, the values are not the same as if I extract the 1:240 data points into excel and calculate the average for each year "by hand."

Why the discrepancy?  and what should I do if I want to calculate yearly means.

Thanks in advance,

Paul