[ferret_users] Counting of ElNino & LaNina Events

Dear FERRET users,

I wanted to calculate no of Elnino and LaNina events using SST monthly data. My data ranges from jan1990 to dec1999 (10 years, 120 months). I need go through following steps in FERRET

1) Calculate spatial averages over the NINO3.4 region of SST
2) Calculate monthly means of Jan, Feb ... Dec.
3) Calculate Anomaly =SST-corresponding monthly means
4 Normalize it by the corresponding Standard deviation (This is my NINO3.4 index)

Now at the end I have to count no of ElNino and LaNina years in this total period (condition is that if continuous 6 months have threshold valuse of NiNo3.4 index greater or equal +0.4; I will count it as ElNino and If its value is less or equal to -0.4; it will be counted as LaNina ).

How can I do this counting over calculated Nino3.4 index