Re: [ferret_users] Bar chart

Hi,
Inside the bar_chart script, there are commands to determine the direction of the variable, so the script can define variables with the polygon shape. It uses the RETURN=SHAPE command. If your variable is called precip, then take a look at what happens when you say,
yes?  say  `precip,return=shape`
Even though your variable is 1-dimensional, sometimes that RETURN command can give an answer that makes it seem to have more dimensions.  For instance
yes? use coads_climatology
yes? let sstave = sst[x=@ave,y=@ave]
yes? say `sstave,return=shape`
  !-> MESSAGE/CONTINUE XYT
XYT
but
yes? let sstave = sst[x=0:360@ave,y=-90:90@ave]
yes? say `sstave,return=shape`
 !-> MESSAGE/CONTINUE T
We've actually improved this particular behavior for getting the shape of a transformed variable for the next Ferret release.  In the meantime maybe you can redefine your average.  Let us know if you need a hand.

Ansley