Re: [ferret_users] RE: Help in reading ascii data in ferret

It looks like your data has ^M and other windows formatting embedded in it, if I click open it i google I get a vertical column vector but if I download it and open I see this is like a normal text. I did a copy and paste to vi editor after opening it in google editor and it worked.
here is the data after fix.
with best regards,
Sudheer

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Ansley Manke <ansley.b.manke@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
There seems to be something in the internal formatting of the file that means it isn't read correctly under Unix. Even  the unix "cat" command does not read the file.

   > cat tzclim.dat

returns nothing.  It sounds as if what Fisseha did was to do a "save as" text, from the email tool. I allowed the file to be opened by my text editor from the email attachment, and saved it as a text file from my editor. Then renamed it back to tzclim.dat.  That version of the file is attached.  Ferret does not pay attention to the file name for reading ascii files, so this has nothing to do with the naming.

   yes? FILE/VAR=height tzclim2.dat
   yes? plot height

(Sometimes a file that's written under Windows will have trouble being read under Linux.  That is not what happened here, but it seems to be something similar to that.)

Ansley