[ferret_users] salinity at the shallowest profile depth

Hi all -

This seems simple but the only way I could figure out how to do seems outrageously baroque. Anybody have a cleaner way to do it?

I have a series of profiles of T and S from an instrument that goes up and down repeatedly. It comes to me on a (vertical_index,profile_number) grid, with same-shape grids of depth, temperature and salinity. The depths typically start shortly before the instrument reaches the top, and end shortly after it reaches the bottom: thus it's a series of profiles with a few extra values at each end that make it non-monotonic. (And there may be wiggles in each direction near the top and bottom).

I would like to find the salinity at the shallowest depth of each profile.

This seems at first made for @WEQ. But while I could easily find the salinity at a particular depth with WEQ, it requires a constant argument, not a variable one like ZED[K=@MIN]. I could similarly find the index K of the shallowest depth with WEQ, but again there is no way I can see to put that variable back into WEQ.

I have a solution using SORTK/SAMPLEK, but because there is also a time-index the output of this is an LxL grid, with the desired values along the diagonal! As I said, I have a solution but it is really ugly. My script is below. Is this really the only solution to this seemingly-simple problem?

Billy K
--------------------
! Variable names are: ZEDZT, TEMPZT, SALTZT (obviously-named). All have the same shape in (K,L)

let ksortind = sortk(zedzt)       ! sort depths
let kind1 = ksortind[k=1] ! index of shallowest. One value for each L. let kind1_1d = reshape(kind1,t[gt=kind1]) ! force index to be 1-d for input to SAMPLEK

! sample depths, temps, salinity according to the depth indices
let sortedzed = samplek(zedzt,kind1_1d)
let sortedtemp = samplek(tempzt,kind1_1d)
let sortedsalt = samplek(saltzt,kind1_1d)

! results of the above need to be re-sampled ALONG THE DIAGONAL!
! the grid out of SAMPLEK is inherited from the original T, while Z has # of pts of argument 2. ! since that argument is effectively along L, and the other dimension of sorted* is also L,
! the resulting grid is LxL, with the desired elements on the diagonal.
! extract the diagonal elements:
let ll = l[gt=zedzt]; let kk = zsequence(l[gt=zedzt]) ! define indices of the diagonal
let zed1 = if kk eq ll then sortedzed          ! extract for depth
let sst1 = if kk eq ll then sortedtemp             ! for temp
let sss1 = if kk eq ll then sortedsalt             ! for salt

! now have a diagonal-only grid. Use FNR to find them on a single line
let zed2 = zed1[k=1:75@fnr]
let sst2 = sst1[k=1:75@fnr]
let sss2 = sss1[k=1:75@fnr]
let shallow=zed2[k=1]