Re: [ferret_users] how to calculate 5day average

Hi,

Assuming you have daily dataset, first compute the 5 day running mean and then pick every 5th point starting at the 3rd day.
Note that this method doesn't distinguish leap year.

let var_rm=var[l=@sbx:5]
let var_pntd=var_rm[l=3:365:5]    ! assuming lend=365 ( i.e.e 1 year's daily data)

Further for pentad climatology I did the following: (Assuming multi year daily data)

def axis/t=0:365.2425/edges/npoints=365/t0=1-jan-0001/units=days/modulo tdaily
let prc=precip[d=1,gt=tdaily@mod]
let prrm1=prc[l=@sbx:5]
let pr_pntd=prrm1[l=3:365:5]    !pentad

I probabaly got the idea/ pick this up from past email archives, but I am not sure if this the best method to compute pentad & pentad climatology but comparision with daily and daily climatogy plots gave satisfactory result for me

Hope this helps
Jagadish