Re: [ferret_users] plot/vs and axes

Hi Sudheer,

Thanks for your message.

| I am not sure If you want shade to be after plot command for some
| reason,

I do want to SHADE after PLOT-ting.  If you run the attached script,
you'll see why.  Simply put, I want to partially cover the lines
with shading.

In that sample script, I do this:

SHADE . . .      ! to plot axes
PLOT/VS/OV . . . ! to plot the lines I need.
SHADE/OV . . .   ! to plot the shading I need.

But the first shading is redundant.  Hence my original question.
I thought the following should work:

PLOT/VS . . .
SHADE/OV

but it seems that SHADE does not respect the axes
set by PLOT/VS .

Ryo
! -- sample script -------------
set data coads_climatology

! Define land mask.
!   IFV is easier but my Ferret version is a bit old.
let mask0 = missing(SST[l=1], -0.999e9)
let mask = if mask0 eq (-0.999e9) then 1

! Plot axes
! cancel NODATA_LAB  !! doesn't work on my Ferret version.
!let nothing = mask + 0/0  !! all missing
!shade/nolabel nothing
shade/lev=(100,200,100)/nokey mask

! Plot lines
let xpnts = {20, 380}
set var/units=degrees_east xpnts
let ypnts1 = {2, 2}
set var/units=degrees_north ypnts1
let ypnts2 = {-2, -2}
set var/units=degrees_north ypnts2
let ypnts3 = {9, 9}
set var/units=degrees_north ypnts3
let ypnts4 = {-9, -9}
set var/units=degrees_north ypnts4

let delx = 10
let xEW1  = 360 - 167
let xEW2  = xEW1 + delx
let xmid = (xEW1 + xEW2)/2

let yvert = {-89,89}
set var/units=degrees_north yvert
let xmidpnts = {`xmid`, `xmid`}
set var/units=degrees_east xmidpnts

define symbol line_spec nolabel/line/color=black/thick=3
plot/vs/($line_spec)/ov xpnts,ypnts1
plot/vs/($line_spec)/ov xpnts,ypnts2
plot/vs/($line_spec)/ov xpnts,ypnts3
plot/vs/($line_spec)/ov xpnts,ypnts4