Re: [ferret_users] eof variance

The value of the 2nd argument should probably be less than 1 (.2? . 4?). Do some experimentation.

To explore this, try the routine on a subset of the data (say restrict in lat/lon), for a region where you have a good idea of the signal.

plot ssha[x=80e:90e@ave,y=5n:15n@ave] ! find a region with a clear annual signal

let sshaeoftest=eof_tfunc(ssha[x=80e:90e,y=5n:15n]

plot ssheoftest[i=1],ssheoftest[i=2],ssheoftest[i=3] ! is one of these annual?

But a larger point is that it is a bad idea to use EOFs to extract a signal of known frequency (e.g. annual and semi-annual), for three reasons: 1) EOFs will be less efficient and more cpu-intensive at doing this than a simple harmonic decomposition. 2) Your goal is presumably to distinguish the various physical signals in the data, ideally by having individual EOFs represent particular signals. But EOFs blindly (non-physically) maximize the correlated variance in the lowest modes. If the spatial pattern of a large- amplitude signal (e.g. annual) has a partial correlation with the spatial pattern of another frequency, then the EOF will mix the two, providing potentially misleading results (neither the annual nor the other signal will be well-represented by a particular EOF, thwarting your goal). 3) A propagating signal will be represented by two EOF modes (because EOFs are standing waves, decomposing data into a sum over separable functions A(x)*B(t)). This can easily be tested with a constructed example. Two modes for one signal is less than ideal, since it may not be obvious how the two modes fit together (especially in light of problem (2) above). Therefore, even aside from the computational disadvantages, they are inherently less effective than harmonics when there is a propagating wave in the data.

=> Don't use EOFs to extract known facts. First filter the known frequencies from the data and describe those separately. For example, first remove the annual cycle (with month_reg@mod; see "Modulo regridding" in the documentation; or harmonic decomposition - search the archives for "harmonic", several scripts have been posted). Analyze the annual (and semi-annual?) signal separately, then do EOFs on the residual.

=> When trying any kind of analysis, first do some experiments with small subsets or cooked examples where you know the answer. Thereby, learn what the technique is and is not capable of doing.

BK