Re: [ferret_users] accessing ftp data from ferret

Hi -
An FTP server is not the same as an OPeNDAP server.  You'll need to use FTP from your browser or the command line to download the data to your local disk and then you should be able to open it in Ferret as a local dataset.

To use OPeNDAP files in Ferret, you do not have to install your own copy of the netCDF libraries.  Those libraries are linked into the Ferret executable.  You can access data on OPeNDAP servers with Ferret,

yes? use "http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/thredds/dodsC/Datasets/icoads/1degree/global/std/sst.mean.nc"
yes? show data

-Ansley