Re: [ferret_users] big file reading issue

Hi-
Recent versions of Ferret are built with large-file support in the NetCDF libraries.  That is discussed here,
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf/Large-File-Support.html, note that it says, "NetCDF-4 variables and files can be any size supported by the underlying file system."

Are you using SAVE/APPEND to read and write the data in several chunks?  I would suggest using Ferret to check what the last time step is, and plot some time slices to make sure it looks correct.

If your aim is to use this data in Ferret, one option would be to write the dataset as several netCDF files and use descriptor files or THREDDS aggregation to make them appear as a single dataset to Ferret.

Ansley