*Subject:* [ferret_users] appending to file: history crash & time bounds
*Sent:* Thu 20 Oct 2011 10:06:09 PM CEST +0200
*From:* Hella Riede <hella.riede@xxxxxxx>
*To:* ferret <oar.pmel.ferret_users@xxxxxxxx>

Dear ferreters,

in order to track the history of datasets, I create very long history
lines. When I try to add a variable to such a dataset, ferret crashes
and exits with the message " **ERROR Ferret crash; signal = 11". It took
me some time to figure out that the crash is due to the long history
attribute. I currently use version 6.70. Up to at least version 6.40,
there was a warning issued:
*** NOTE: CDF attribute history is too long
*** NOTE: no text could be appended
This is now seems not to be issued anymore.

After cutting the history line, I get the following error:
"NetCDF: Variable not found (OPeNDAP/netCDF Error code -49)
timep_bnds not found. Attempt to append irregular coordinates to NetCDF
axis which has no bounds attribute. Write data originally with the
/BOUNDS qualifier."
I found some information on that in the release notes to version 6.3.
What I do not understand is that I just would like to add a variable,
not additional time steps, to the file.

! I defined a variable
! d=1: test_all_short.nc
! d=2: test.nc
yes? let/d=1 flight = flight[d=2,gt=slon[d=1]@ASN]
! then tried to append it
yes? save/append/file=test_all_short.nc flight[d=1]

The to-be-appended variable flight has the same grid as any variable in
d=1:
yes? sh grid flight
GRID GMH1
name axis # pts start end
normal X
normal Y
normal Z
TIMEP TIME 607 i 28-APR-2006 11:57 28-APR-2006 13:40
yes? sh grid slon
GRID GMH1
name axis # pts start end
normal X
normal Y
normal Z
TIMEP TIME 607 i 28-APR-2006 11:57 28-APR-2006 13:40

In my opinion there is no need for bounds when I really do not want to
extend the file in time.

Any clarification on this is very welcome, thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Hella

 Hella Riede  (Dipl.Chem.)
 Max Planck Institute for Chemistry