Re: [ferret_users] remove tick mark partly in figure

On 10/13/2011 5:19 PM, xiangbaoq wrote:
Dear Ansley,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am sorry but I did not make the question clear.
What I mean is referring to one plot not two. There are tick marks on four sides of one plot and now I hope to only keep the left side and bottom side since they have the labels. Thanks again.

Best,
baoqiang

Hi -
Oh, ok.  There are no controls for the tic marks on individual axes of a plot, but I can think of a couple of easy workarounds.  One would be to draw the plot with the axes where you want the tics, and then use PLOT/VS to draw lines at the location of the other axes. A number of symbols are set up with any plot that Ferret draws, such as xaxis_min, xaxis_max, and so on which are designed just for this kind of thing.

yes? plot/axes=0,1,1,0/i=1:10 1./i
yes? plot/vs/over/nolab/line/color=black {($xaxis_min), ($xaxis_max), ($xaxis_max)}, {($yaxis_max), ($yaxis_max), ($yaxis_min)}

Or there is the trick where you can draw the different parts of the plot in two identical viewports.

yes ! Define two identical viewports that fill the page
yes? define view/x=0:1/y=0:1 full1
yes? define view/x=0:1/y=0:1 full2

yes? ! Draw the plot in one of the viewports with axes only on the bottom and left
yes? set view full1
yes? plot/axes=0,1,1,0/i=1:10 1./i

yes? ! Draw a blank plot, axes on the top and right, with no tic marks or labels.
yes? set view full2
yes? plot/nolab/axes=1,0,0,1/color=white/i=1:10/set i/0
yes? ppl tics,0,0,0,0
yes? ppl axlsze,0,0
yes? ppl plot