Re: [ferret_users] Eddy tracking algorithm

Excellent comments from Jaison and Ryo. Ferret has always been a fantastic and unique tool for many applications (huge datasets, remote datasets, quick exploration of NetCDF and OPeNDAP data, regridding, mapping, and anything requiring calendars, modulo longitude/time axes, and axis-broadcasting), but clunky for others (complex and iterative programming, element-by-element indexing, local scope (modules & namespaces), multi-variable returns from functions, and publication-quality graphics).

But stay tuned! The Ferret developers are working on wrapping the Ferret code into a Python module, and already have a quite polished working prototype ("Ferret 7") that some of us have been testing. This is a HUGE development for both the Ferret and Python communities -- it means that we will soon have all of the above capabilities.

With Ferret7, one can easily switch back and forth between a standard Ferret environment and a Python prompt, and pass variables between the two. One can also write scripts in either Ferret or Python, and even switch between languages inside of a single .jnl file or a single Python script. And Ferret external functions can be written in Python, or any language that Python wraps -- allowing one to call, for example, any of the routines in NumPy, SciPy, or any other Python library, and have all of the variable & axis metadata carry through as we're used to. Karl Smith has already ported many of the scipy.stats routines -- for finding PDFs and quantile functions, generating random deviates, parameter fitting, confidence intervals, statistical tests, etc. from a large number of distributions -- into Ferret external functions, and the results are impressive. So we will soon be able to access all the power of Ferret, Python, PCMDI's CDAT, Matlab (via numpy+scipy+matplotlib), and Mathematica/Maple (via sympy and sage), in one place.

As they always have, the developers have taken care to maintain backwards-compatibility, so existing Ferret .jnl scripts will all work in Ferret7. The Ferret prompt and environment are unchanged, and old-timers needn't even be aware of the Python capability if they don't want to. But my goodness, if you know or learn Python, you'll now have all the control structures, object-oriented capability, and vast libraries of Python, including numerous fonts and 2d & 3d graphics libraries (matplotlib, sage, cdat, ncvtk). It's exciting to see the future of Ferret!

Andrew