Re: [ferret_users] Sample variance and computing running variance

Hi -
1)You make a good point about the variance calculations.  We'll look into this.

2)For a running variance script, I have one simple idea.  This message,
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2010/msg00685.html

talks about computing a running maximum over a time window (in more recent times we have the SMX and SMN transformations for smoothing using min or max. The above message came before those existed).   It just writes each result to a file and then reads that back in.  It's maybe not elegant, but is straitforward.

-Ansley