[ferret_users] deleting a column from ascii data

Dear ferret users,

I want to get rid of first column from a ascii file before reading it in ferret. For this, I tried to make use of Jaison's idea (http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2006/msg00790.html) but I am facing a seemingly strange problem.

I can execute the following in command line without any problem.

awk '{$1="";print}' ifile.txt > ofile.txt

but when I try the same inside ferret it doesn't work.

sp awk '{$1="";print}' ifile.txt > ofile.txt
 **ERROR: command syntax: unpaired quotation marks, grave accent or brackets
sp awk '{$1=""
Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted

How can I overcome this strange problem?

Thanks in advance
Jagadish