Re: [ferret_users] lanczos function - retaining annual cycle signal in monthly time series

I'm not sure if the Lanczos function is appropriate for the annual cycle. It might not be doing what you need. The usefulness of a Lanczos filter is for working with precise frequencies. That is not usually the case for geophysical annual cycles, which typically include 1cpy, 2cpy, 3cpy, etc signals, and are complicated by leap years.

Perhaps try the regridding:

set data climatological_axes ! bring in predefined annual (and a few other) modulo axes
let ann = original_variable[gt=month_irreg@mod]

The newly-created variable ANN will be the average annual cycle (monthly), correctly taking into account leap years. If you want another interval, look at the definition of month_irreg (or month_reg); analogies can be defined for daily or others.

If you want to check the result of this regridding, try:

let ann_on_orig=ann[gt=original_variable] ! put the annual cycle onto the original time axis

plot original_variable, ann_on_orig, original_variable-ann_on_orig ! plot the original data, the annual cycle, and the anomalies

BK