Re: [ferret_users] how to plot coastline, land and lat and lon coordinates etc...

Hi-
I believe the data is on a curvilinear grid.  Is there a coordinates attribute on the variable
yes? show attribute/all temp
or whatever the variable name is. Using one coastal model file I happen to know of, It might look like this
yes? sh att/all temp
     attributes for dataset: http://omglnx1.meas.ncsu.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/gomtox/2008/his
 temp.long_name = potential temperature
 temp.units = Celsius
 temp.time = ocean_time
 temp.coordinates = lat_rho lon_rho
 temp._FillValue = 0
Then, use the curvilinear form of the plot command,
yes? fill temp, lon_rho, lat_rho
Once you have plotted the variable with its curvilinear coordinate variables, then the plot axes will be in degrees and scripts such as "go land", "go land_detail", or "go fland" will work correctly.

Often in these model datsets there are one mor more land mask variables, which will be on the same grid and have the same resolution as the data.   In the dataset I am looking at here, there is a variable "mask_rho".  Plot these to see how they're set up.  This one has 1 where there is ocean and 0 over land. So I can do this:
yes? let land_mask = if mask_rho eq 0 then 1
yes?  shade/over/nolabel/palette=black land_mask, lon_rho, lat_rho

Ansley