Re: [ferret_users] Need help in ferret installation

Hi Paul,

|           But when i run "$ferret" command i faced an error message
| saying "ferret: error while loading shared libraries:
| libgfortran.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
| directory".
[. . .]
| I could not find "libgfortran.so.1" in internet where
| libgfortran.so.3 and above are available.

I suggest pretending yours is version 1:

  $ cd /usr/lib
  $ sudo ln -s libgfortran.so.3 libgfortran.so.1

assuming that you have libgfortran.so.3 installed in /usr/lib .
USUALLY, a newer version of a library is compatible with older
ones, so the above trick usually works.

If you don't have libgfortran yet, you can install it by

  $ sudo aptitude install libgfortran3

or by whatever package management tool you use.

|    One more query regarding Display setting is that in ferret
| installation guide, one has to execute the command " % setenv
| DISPLAY anorak:0.0 ". There it is mentioned that "anork" is theirs
| workstation, if so what it the name should i have to use to replace
| anork?

I recommend that you first try to use ferret without doing anything
with the DISPLAY environmental variable.

If that fails, you want

  % setenv DISPLAY ":0.0"

if you are to plot figures on the screen of the computer on which
ferret is running.

The part preceding ":0.0" denotes the name of the machine on whose
screen you want Ferret to plot figures.  If the machine Ferret is
running on and the screen you want Ferret to use are the
same, you can omit the name of the machine.  Hence ":0.0".
(Or "localhost:0.0", because "localhost" always refers to the
name of the machine.)

Regards,
Ryo

P.S.  If you have apt-file installed, you can search for
files by

  $ apt-file search libgfortran.so

(Before doing this, you need to do "sudo apt-file update".)
This tool tells you which package contains the files whose
names are similar to "libgfortran.so".