Re: [ferret_users] how to calculate transport through straits....

Mahesh

| thanks for the reply. I need to compute salt transport. I try with the
| medatlas data....here i am pasting the syntax for the same....
|

| yes? let strans = A[x=-7:-4@DIN,y=35.8,z=0:1000@DIN]
| yes? list strans
|              VARIABLE : A[X=-7:-4@DIN,Y=35.8,Z=0:1000@DIN]
|              FILENAME : 09.med.psal.nc
|              FILEPATH : home/mahesh/DATA/MED-Atlas/NC/
|              LONGITUDE: 7W(-7) to 4W(-4)
|              LATITUDE : 35.8N
|              Z (meters): 0 to 1000
|         *     5.246E+09*
|
| i think it gives something wrong  values? is it correct? what is  *5.246E+09
| * and in which unit?

I don't know what your "A" is, but Ferret computes

    the integral from z=0 to z=1000
    of the integral from lon=-7 to lon=-4
    of A dx dz,

where dx = earthsradius * cos(latitude) * d(longitude).

The units Ferret uses is meters, I think.  So, the units of your
strans are [the units of A] * [m^2]

Regards,
Ryo