Re: [ferret_users] how to calculate transport through straits....

Mahesh,

| I need to compute water transport through the straits. how can I do
| this in ferret ?
| Is there any function or script available ?

It's easy to compute the transport through a zonal or meridional
section:

   let mertrans = v[x=x1:x2@DIN,y=y1,z=0:zmax@DIN]
   let zontrans = u[y=y1:y2@DIN,x=x2,z=0:zmax@DIN]

The @DIN operator is the definite integral.  So, if your section
extends from (x1,y1) to (x2, y2), the transport you want is
mertrans + zontrans or mertrans - zontrans or . . .
depending on the orientation of your section.

This calculation assumes that both meridional and zonal sections are
in the ocean and that the sea level change within the triangle
(x1,y1)(x2,y1)(x2,y2) is negligible.

You would get somewhat inaccurate results if your vertical or
horizontal gridspacing is uneven and you don't provide the positions
of the edges of the gridcells.

Regards,
Ryo