[ferret_users] Converting missing values to "NaN"

Hello! I am trying to analyze a NetCDF file in MatLab, and I would like to change all "missing" values in the dataset to NaN for compatibility. This would probably be trivial if the missing() function were an option, but I am running Ferret v6.401 and that command is not present.

Let's say that variable has missing value −1E+34 (which I want to convert to NaN) and all other values greater than or equal to 0. I have tried
yes? let nan = "NaN"
yes? let variable_nan = IF variable ge 0 THEN variable ELSE nan
but that just turns all the data into missing values (-1.000000E+34).

Thanks for your help,

Sam Rabin
     Graduate student
         Princeton University