[ferret_users] using polygons to fill a land contour

Dear Ferret users, developers,

I'm trying to create a filled polygon of a land contour based on the
gshhs coastline dataset.  Apart from obvious problems around the 0
meridian, the idea works more or less.  I've got a coastline dataset
in netcdf comparable to the "geo_borders" dataset.

You can get the basic idea of what I'm trying to do with

> use geo_borders
> poly/fill /pal=gray continent_lon,continent_lat

This doesn't quite work because the polygons aren't closed, but that
can be resolved.  Greenland works OK.

The problem is that apparently my land contour data set is too large:
when I try this with the gshhs dataset, I either get

> Too much polygon data to plot at once
> Too much polygon data to plot at once
> Too much polygon data to plot at once
> Too much polygon data to plot at once
> [repeated lots of times]

or I get a straight crash:

> yes? poly/fill coastline_lon,coastline_lat
> **ERROR Ferret crash; signal = 11

Using set memory to increase the available memory for ferret doesn't
seem to help.  It's probably memory related, as the error occurs
somewhat randomly and it did work on a different machine (same ferret
version) once.

Are there any settings I can play with to allow Ferret to draw larger
polygons?  Has anyone done this using gshhs or similar?

Kind regards,
     Hein Zelle

--

Dr. Hein Zelle
Advisor Meteorology & Oceanography

Tel:    +31 (0)527-242299
Fax:    +31 (0)527-242016
Email:  hein.zelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web:    www.bmtargoss.com

BMT ARGOSS
P.O. Box 61, 8325 ZH Vollenhove
Voorsterweg 28, 8316 PT Marknesse
The Netherlands

----Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer----

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the
use of the mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, you
are not allowed to read it, to take any action based upon it or to
copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you
should please delete it from your system. BMT ARGOSS does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or
its attachments which arise as a result of internet transmission, nor
accept liability for statements which are those of the author and
clearly not made on behalf of BMT ARGOSS.