Re: [ferret_users] average from many files

Hi,

| I am working with climatology. I have a large no of wind stress
| files for an uniform grid around the world(2degX2deg)
| what I need is to averge of data @ every single grid point
| using data out of all the files.

Are your original data in netCDF?  If so, yours sounds exactly
the type of task "ncea" of the NCO suit is designed for:

  http://nco.sourceforge.net/

I haven't used this particular operator and don't know details
of how it works.

If that fails, I would (since I'm more proficient in some
scripting languages than in Ferret scripting) write a script
to generate a Ferret script.  Basically, you want a Ferret
script that looks like

  USE "first.nc"
  USE "second.nc"
  USE "third.nc"
  ! . . .
  let meanwind = wind[d=1] + wind[d=2] + wind[d=3] + . . .

and it's rather straightforward to produce a text file like
this if you use a scripting language such as sh and ruby.
If somebody is interested, I would post a sample.  (But,
I don't know Python or csh.)

(I'm sure there are Ferret solutions, too, which would take
 me a lot more time to produce.)

Regards,
Ryo