Re: [ferret_users] Re: Making contours/ embarrasing style and thickness

Hi -
I don't find ex.nc attached to your previous messages; only plot images were attached. However,  the general answer is that the SHADE and CONTOUR commands use different methods for placing colors or lines on the page. SHADE is a raster plot: it fills each grid cell with a color according to its value. FILL and CONTOUR interpolate to make smooth curves according to the settings for the contouring algorithm (which can be changed, by the way).  Because FILL and CONTOUR use the same method, a FILL with a CONTOUR/OVER would give you lines at the same location as the boundaries between colors.

Ansley