Re: [ferret_users] Spatial Fourier Analysis

Hi Dave,

Currently the FFT functions all perform the transformation on a time axis. One could write an external function to do this on other axes, or one could regrid to make the desired axis a (fake) time axis.

However, I am writing to see another option might be of interest: PyFerret (still not officially released, but working quite well) which is Ferret built as a Python module. If you are familiar with Python, using the numpy.fft module will allow you to do your FFT analysis in Python in a multitude of ways. I can envision writing a Python based external function that gets the data from Ferret, uses the numpy.fft package to (a) transform the passed data to the frequency domain along whichever axis you desire, (b) smooth or otherwise modify the frequencies, and (c) transform the data back, and then return this modified data array. (There is also the option of using PyFerret's getdata and putdata methods to get data arrays from Ferret and put whatever data arrays you want back into Ferret.)

Let me know if you are interested in giving PyFerret a try.

Karl

David Ogier wrote:
Hi Ferreters...

I've been using FFTA to do fourier analysis on some data, focusing on the time aspect for the frequency, but I'd like to do a spatial fourier analysis where frequencies are mapped in the x or y rather then with time?
Is this possible? can ffta be used for this?

Many thanks

Dave

--
Karl M. Smith, Ph.D.
Research Scientist and Software Developer

"The contents of this message are mine personally and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the Government
or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration."